Friday, July 5, 2013

The Roles of The Teacher

Topic: What do you think is the most important role a teacher plays? Why?

I think there are numerous roles a teacher plays within the school, the community, and most importantly the classroom.  These are such roles as being a leader, a counselor, a coordinator, and a friend.  All the roles of a teacher are both significant and powerful.  As a teacher we have to do what we can to help better the community and its schools.  This might include tutoring children over the summer to help raise their reading level or participating in a city council meeting about a new library.  No matter what a teacher might be doing to help his or her students, it all boils down to what I consider to be the most important and powerful role a teacher can play, and that is setting a good example.

I think that being a good example to your students really encompasses almost every role a teacher can play.  A particular habit comes to mind when I think of my own 5th grade teacher and that is reading.  In my short time spent in the classroom I have notice that a majority of students today would rather play with an ipad or on the computer than pick up a book and read.  What better way to encourage your students to read then to practice what you preach.  I also feel like setting the example of learning is very important, during my field work "Mrs. Kay" always made it point to share something she loved learning about and her excitement was contagious.  Being a good example might seem like a more general role of a teacher, however most everything a teacher does is witnessed by students or community members everywhere they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment